Sunday, October 24, 2010

Coconut Cake

Made I coconut cake in a great hurry. My daughter is in the school play and on Saturday afternoons a group of parents get together to make costumes. I went to my first workshop a number of years ago expecting to throw a few elastic-waisted pants together. Oh noooo! These are the real deal. Fancy period bodices and capes and bonnets and beautiful ruffled Edwardian dresses! My dressmaking has improved out of sight.
Anyway I promised to take afternoon tea to the the latest sewing session and literally threw a cake together.
I would have a photo but there were only crumbs left!

Coconut Cake
125g butter (1 stick)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1/2 cup boiling water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups self raising flour (or all-purpose flour with 3 tspn baking powder)

Pop the kettle on and put the coconut into a bowl. Pour the boiling water over the coconut and leave it to soak.
Meanwhile cream the butter and sugar and add the lightly beaten eggs slowly.
Once this is nice and fluffy mix in by hand the flour, vanilla and cooled coconut mixture.
Pour into a beautifully prepared 20 cm caketin and cook in a moderate oven for 35-40 minutes.
When cool, ice with Lime Icing which is just about a cup icing sugar with enough fresh lime juice to make a reasonably stiff icing.

Put the kettle on again. Make a nice pot of tea. Take a knife and cut a big slice. Plop on the couch with a cup of tea and a piece of cake. The world is a wonderful place!

2 comments:

  1. MMMM this cake sounds absolutely delicious! The lime icing sounds like the perfect topping too.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummm... it is a rainy day here, and I think I just found the perfect project to do --- cake, here we come!

    ReplyDelete