Sunday, July 25, 2010

Afternoon Tea


I found a recipe on a scrap of paper inside one of my notebooks. Can't remember where it came from which is a bit sad. Recipes are quite personal.

So I baked the Orange Syrup Cake and it turned out to be fabulous. Would have shown the whole cake but it wasn't around for long enough!

This is one of my favourite cups with my favourite beverage (tea from a pot never a bag) hence my blog name.

The recipe follows although I think it is a common one.

Orange Syrup Cake

1 whole orange (organic if you can)

1 cup castor sugar

180g butter melted

3 eggs

11/2 cups SR flour

1/3 cup almond meal

In a food processor: blend whole orange then add eggs, sugar butter and flour and process for 2 minutes. Add almonds and whizz a bit longer.

Put into well greased/lined 20cm tin and bake 40minutes in moderate oven.

While it bakes, bring 1 cup orange juice, 1/2 cup sugar and a large slug of Cointreau to the boil. When baked stab the cake thoroughly with a skewer (very satisfying) and pour the syrup over the top. Don't panic as it takes a while to sink in.

Cool in tin then manoeuvre out onto a beautiful plate (Hint: wet hand first so you don't remove the glaze when you touch it.)

Bon appetite (in the words of Julia)!

Oh, the book is for my new book club (Trust by Kate Veitch).

No comments:

Post a Comment